Good morning, dedicated readers and food enthusiasts! For many of us, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets our metabolism going and sets the tone for the rest of the day. That’s why we’re bringing you a breakfast dish with a kick – a Mexican Omelet! This dish marries the classic omelet with hearty ground beef and the irresistible flavors of Mexican cuisine.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ground beef
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese
- Sour cream (optional)
- Salsa (low sugar)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the Beef: Start by pan frying the ground beef in olive oil. Sprinkle the beef with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper to add flavor and spice. Remember, personal preference matters most when adding spices, so feel free to adjust to your liking. After the beef is well cooked, strain and set it aside.
- Prepare the Omelet: Next, melt a tab of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour two well-beaten eggs into the pan and cover. Wait for the eggs to start setting.
- Add the Fillings: Once your eggs are starting to set, spoon in your spiced ground beef. Cover this with a generous amount of cheddar cheese, then fold the omelet. Cover the pan and remove it from heat.
- Let It Rest: Leave your folded omelet covered in the pan for two to three minutes. This will allow the residual heat to melt the cheese perfectly.
- Serve: Carefully slide your omelet onto a plate. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of low-sugar salsa on top of the omelet and sprinkle with additional cheese for a bit of extra indulgence. If desired, add a dollop of sour cream on top, and serve.
TIP: This omelet isn’t just for breakfast—it’s a wonderful light dinner or lunch as well. For a heartier meal, serve it with avocado on the side.
Get ready to awaken your taste buds with this zesty, protein-packed omelet that brings the vibrant flavors of Mexico to your breakfast table. Happy eating, and stay tuned for more ‘fat to skinny’ friendly recipes!